Friday, 9 August 2013

Holiday Snaps

Hey everyone, I'm back in England! Those of you who follow me on Instagram or Facebook probably already know that I've just got back from an amazing holiday to Florida in the USA. I went with my family and this is actually the fourth time we've been, but it was no less magical than before. I thought it would be nice to share some of my pictures with you :)

This a very pic-heavy post so if you want to check it out, it's under the jump. 



These first two shots are from when we got to go and see an actual rocket launch from Cape Canaveral! As someone who is the daughter of a massive space nerd and is developing into one herself, this was a really really cool experience. The launch was a US Navy satellite and although it was cloudy so we didn't actually see the rocket for long, the sound alone was worth hearing! Seriously cool. This is a shot of one of the helicopters that kept passing over all of the crowd on the beach, presumably keeping an eye on us all (it's actually a colour photo!):



These next few are from Epcot in Disneyworld - my favourite of the four Disney parks. Epcot stands for Experimental Prototype Community Of Tommorrow, and the park is separated into two halves - Future World and World Showcase. Future World is all themed around science and sustainable living, whereas World Showcase is a tour around the world in 11 pavilions, each based on a different country. Some people seem to think Epcot is the 'boring' one of the parks but I seriously think it's the coolest, and has some of the best rides. Above is Spaceship Earth, the landmark of Epcot and the largest geodesic sphere in the world. Below is the Imagination Pavilion which is rather pretty:




We saw this adorable little bunny in the gardens at Epcot, and here's another shot of Spaceship Earth at dusk when it's all lit up. Can you tell I love this particular landmark? Next up was Animal Kingdom, including the Tree of Life. I didn't get many good scenic shots that day since it was so cloudy, but we did get to experience the coolest thunderstorms in the afternoon - I've never seen so much lightning!


Next up was Islands of Adventure - we managed to get an early entry deal for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter which was great because it gets incredibly busy. Like I'm sure many of you also did, I grew up with Harry Potter so it's amazing to be able to visit Hogwarts, even if the weather was slightly unrealistic. Not to mention that the ride inside the castle is so much fun - we rode it when we visited in 2010, but I'd forgotten how big the sets are and how cool the ride mechanism is. Definitely recommend!


Then came Magic Kingdom. This is the park everyone knows, but it's just had a big New Fantasyland revamp, including...



Tangled! This is Rapunzel's tower and some of the kingdom scenery, including paintings and the lanterns from the film. I'm completely obsessed with this movie so I was really excited to see the new area and it did not disappoint. They even have murals and a shelf with Rapunzel's paints on in the ladies' toilets!

Of course we had to ride It's A Small World... (my housemate thinks the dolls on this ride are creepy, I think they're cute!)


And Thunder Mountain...


And we managed to stay awake for the whole day to see the Main Street Electrical Parade and the Wishes fireworks:






We visited Kennedy Space Center to check out more space awesomeness. They have a new exhibition all about the shuttle Atlantis which is fascinating, plus you get the chance to see the shuttle itself, as it was when it landed from its final mission. 


We also did an up-close tour which allowed us to see the Vehicle Assembly Building where NASA builds most of its rockets. It's the largest single-storey building in the world, and the sixth largest in the world by volume, i.e. it's pretty huge! We were able to go inside so I can indeed confirm that this is an enormous building, but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't capture it's true size on camera. Here's the best I could manage:



We were also able to get up close to launchpad 39A which is where most of the Apollo moon landing missions were launched in the 1960s and 70s. The second picture here shows the flame trench and some of the heat damage from previous launches. 



We went back to Magic Kingdom a second time for another backstage tour: the Keys to the Kingdom tour. This is all about the history of the Magic Kingdom and its rides. One of the coolest things was that we got to be in the park before it opened, meaning it was almost empty. Check it out!




And here's some shots of a couple of my all-time favourite rides, Splash Mountain and the Haunted Mansion, plus Main Street USA all lit up at night:





We spent our final afternoon at Epcot, looking round World Showcase; in order these pictures show the Canada, United Kingdom, Japan (x2) and China pavilions. 






Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any good shots of the Epcot fireworks, IllumiNations, but I'm quite proud of this final Spaceship Earth picture. 


This wasn't everything we did in Florida by all means - it was a very busy fortnight - but I hope you enjoyed seeing a snapshot of what I was up to while I was absent from the blogging world. 

Hugs,
Katy xo

2 comments:

  1. Disneyland! I'm so jealous, i've only ever been to the one in Paris but that was so much fun. I can't believe you got to see an actual rocket launch! xx

    www.jessthetics.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was so cool! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete